When I got my E71 a couple of weeks ago, one of the first thing that I installed was Garmin Mobile XT. I don’t want to use the preinstalled Nokia GPS and Maps because everytime I launched Nokia GPS, I had to make a wireless connection. I do not subscribe to a buffet, all-u-can-use data plan, so using Nokia maps for navigation is very expensive. Hence, GarminXT a solution of choice.
Two weeks ago, I installed an outdated version of GMobileXT and it worked fine, really, but I decided to install the latest version on my E71 last night. I thought I knew what I was doing … boy, it was a long night.
I downloaded the update and installed as per directed but I could not get GmobileXT to run on the phone. I panicked, I reinstalled the software, reset the phone and it still did not work. I was sleepy and at almost 1 a.m. I decided to uninstall the app using the Applications Manager and delete all files and folders relating to Garmin.
Then, did a fresh install.
- Installed the software update.
- Installed the support files.
- Installed the basemap
- lastly downloaded and installed maps for Malaysia and Singapore.
Twenty minuts later, it worked! What a relief. I thought I scewed up the whole memory card since GMobileXT needs to be installed on the card, and depends on the card’s unique ID to run. Phewww!!!
Moral of the story, do not work when sleepy or tired. Get a good rest and you’d probably find the solution to easier.